Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

soil cores into coco

custom

I'm Banned
what are the nutrient effects of having a soil core, and then later transplanting to coco..also ph effects etc.

have some really nice clones..was wanting to transplant these into a coco filled flood table using canna nutrients..

now do i run the ph at say apx 5.3-6.0 like i would hydroponics?
or should i run around a 6.0-6.3 range to comp the soil cores?
kinda like...find a happy medium between the soil and the coco...

should i run ppm a little less since the soil cores are there?

i'm using my own blend of bonnies promix, perlite, wormcasings, ancient forest, guanos and 10% coco coir..
now this is basicly a soil-less medium correct?
until i add a base like FF or compost etc right?
so that being said..
i could just dump them in and run like hydro..

just want to make sure im thinkin straight before i do this little side prodject.

Vader

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Its going to use everything up in the core so don't worry about it

how big will the cores be...1 gallon? how big pots u transplanting? 3 gal?

Either way your thinking along the right track and you'll be fine. :good:

Just PH like its hydro and adjust accordingly

We start soil cups and transplant to coco and start in coco cups and transplant into soil. It works both ways.

NL

HC Member
using canna nutrients..

now do i run the ph at say apx 5.3-6.0 like i would hydroponics?
or should i run around a 6.0-6.3 range to comp the soil cores?
What canna nutes are you using?

i'm using my own blend of bonnies promix, perlite, wormcasings, ancient forest, guanos and 10% coco coir..
now this is basicly a soil-less medium correct?
until i add a base like FF or compost etc right?
so that being said..
i could just dump them in and run like hydro..

just want to make sure im thinkin straight before i do this little side prodject.
that mix is not soilless. if you have hummus and guanos in it its a soil. adding FF or compost just adds more soil. the bonnies mix is likely soilless. you'll have to list the ingredients to be sure.

if you're feeding it organically, you're good to go. but if not organic, you need to treat its pH like a soil grow, not a hydro grow. its just an amended peat moss mix.

if you're using that soil mix w/salt based canna nutes, save yerself the trouble and get some coco, rockwool or hydroton and run it straight up hydro to get the benefits of a hydro grow. the soil w/hydro nutes is not gonna compare.

promix, perlite, coco coir, and ewc - soilless. you can run it hydro or soil, depends what you have to feed it.

if it helps, try to think of hydro/soilless as the same just w/diff. ways of feeding it. and soil as something altogether different.

:tiphat:

custom

I'm Banned
just gettin the canna coco line..
the mix os bonnies pro mix style shit..
perlite
a bit of ancient forest
10 % coco coir
guano and wormcastings but i didnt let it bake it was mix and go..did it really light so it would carry some veg then i could dial it down at flower with my nutes...now this table..i guess i'll just drain to waste..the entire table is coco coir and perlite..just that mix is in the core..
started it with metrop today though..to get em by till my canna gets here , but metrop is coco, hydro and soil friendly..so i might just stick with it and run all coco ebb and flow with canna nutes next run..thanx for all the help..
appreciate the input guys:pimp:

erbie

HC Member
A few tips, just thought I'd bump this thread as I have a bit of experience doing this.
Excuse the noob status on these boards, I am a regular on a different forum.
Firstly I do the same with mother plants for a few different reasons. The core of the mums is basic potting mix and perlite as after a while of keeping mums in coco you will start seeing N lockout. Nobody seems to know why this happens - it just does. The core can act as a buffer for this and make sure your plants can always access what they need, once every 6 months I take the mum out of the pot and trim the root ball back to the soil core, then repot in fresh coco, it works very well :D
I always use coco nutes to feed and in 15yrs have never had a problem doing it this way.
Doing gradual sweeps of your pH range is extremely beneficial in coco. For instance: starting at a pH of 5.8 in coco as standard you can't go wrong but upping the pH slowly to 6.1 max will enable the roots to access different nutes at different ratios (if anyone is interested I can throw the data up here). Doing small incremental sweeps all through your grow will see an overall health improvement (if any has been showing) and really does increase yeild. Doing sweeps with the EC too is beneficial - start at 1.2 (flower) and gradually bring it up to 1.8 max, then drop again to low EC value, this stops salt build up and toxicity in the plant, which obviously maintains plant health.
Last point: why on earth do people put perlite in with their coco? All it does is reduce pot space and smaller roots. I know you may want to say 'its for better airation' but that is just not true. Try doing a comparison (I have) with plain coco (always Canna advanced) and one pot with whatever ratio of perlite to canna and tell me what the difference is.
I work in the agricultural sector and you never see soiless farming with perlite for a good reason.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A few tips, just thought I'd bump this thread as I have a bit of experience doing this.
Excuse the noob status on these boards, I am a regular on a different forum.
Firstly I do the same with mother plants for a few different reasons. The core of the mums is basic potting mix and perlite as after a while of keeping mums in coco you will start seeing N lockout. Nobody seems to know why this happens - it just does. The core can act as a buffer for this and make sure your plants can always access what they need, once every 6 months I take the mum out of the pot and trim the root ball back to the soil core, then repot in fresh coco, it works very well :D
I always use coco nutes to feed and in 15yrs have never had a problem doing it this way.
Doing gradual sweeps of your pH range is extremely beneficial in coco. For instance: starting at a pH of 5.8 in coco as standard you can't go wrong but upping the pH slowly to 6.1 max will enable the roots to access different nutes at different ratios (if anyone is interested I can throw the data up here). Doing small incremental sweeps all through your grow will see an overall health improvement (if any has been showing) and really does increase yeild. Doing sweeps with the EC too is beneficial - start at 1.2 (flower) and gradually bring it up to 1.8 max, then drop again to low EC value, this stops salt build up and toxicity in the plant, which obviously maintains plant health.
Last point: why on earth do people put perlite in with their coco? All it does is reduce pot space and smaller roots. I know you may want to say 'its for better airation' but that is just not true. Try doing a comparison (I have) with plain coco (always Canna advanced) and one pot with whatever ratio of perlite to canna and tell me what the difference is.
I work in the agricultural sector and you never see soiless farming with perlite for a good reason.
Awesome info man I would love to see some more info on this and type of nutes.I have been looking to give this a go with my moms...Thanks and great post.

erbie

HC Member
Awesome info man I would love to see some more info on this and type of nutes.I have been looking to give this a go with my moms...Thanks and great post.
No worries :)

You know I must take some pictures of my moms and upload them here. For coco growing and keeping moms theres very little information out there and as I need to take a load of cuts I will do so over the next few days, good incentive!
As for nutes, I have messed around with so many different brands over the years - such as Hessi, GH, Vitalink etc and to be honest I don't find much difference between them, some cheaper, some stronger but for the best results I keep going back to Canna. Mostly because their 'add ons' actually work! Cannazym for mothers is essential in my kit as even though my moms are healthy the oldest are 12 years now and they tend to get tired easily and need beneficials more the older they get. I still use a combination of Rhizotonic and BLOOM Roots (alternate each feed) in 1/2 strength amounts and Cannazym every 3-4th feed.
I couldn't honestly tell you how much normal ferts I add as I just do it by eye and then use an EC meter on them if I'm adding something like mono nitrogen every now and again. My background EC is .7 in hard water (pH of 7.7 out the tap) and very high in calcite. I say all this as it changes the way each person will need to adjust their nutrient regeime considerably and what works for me will only be a rough guide for anyone that doesn't have the same tap water as me.
Really sorry if this sounds like a lecture and hope this helps :)
It will be nice to post in this forum as it's more Canna specific and seems more laid back than my regular haunt :)
If it's cool I will add the pictures to this thread, or if it maybe something that's better having it's own post for; I don't mind..

Top Bottom